Sunday, March 1, 2009

Simple Times





Ok, so I know that 22 is no time to be feeling old but let's face it. I grew up on the cusp of the technological age. Last night I had a conversation with a friend about this very topic. We talked on and on about in 6th grade how awesome it was that we had gotten AOL. Sure it was painfully slow, tied up the phone line and made that horrible dial-up noise but it was the internet! And it was right in my very own home. Had I known when I was like 11 years old that I would be stuck with the screen name ObviouslyaBSBfan for basically the rest of my life, I think I might have reconsidered my options. But just how was I supposed to know that this new fangled internet thing was going to stick? I mean, I don't know what I would do now without google. Not being able to instantly cross-reference every answer to your wildest questions about 50 times a day just seems ludacris. This brings me to another point: I know how to look my answers up in a real, honest to goodness encyclopedia. I can find it in the library using the Dewey decimal system. This brings me to the actual point of this post. When I was in elementary school, during library class every week I would check out the latest issue of Cat Fancy. Anyways- the best part of checking it out would be getting the little card stamped with your due date on it. I always loved those little things and I always fought to get to help stamp all of the dates in my classmate's books. I still love those little things. How simple and wonderful they are. Different stamps, different colors, always stamped in a hurry. Who knew card stock could make you so happy??? I love this Librarian shirt and Traveling Bookmarks from two different Etsy shops. Its weird how they actually seem retro but it seems like fun to track your book's adventures. Maybe now I should actually go to this building they call the "library".

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I'm actually in library school so I'm required to be all "YAY LIBRARY GO TO THE LIBRARY"

    but, it's kind of sad how many people today CAN'T use the library. I work at the main undergrad library of the University of Pittsburgh, and it's depressing how many people make it to their senior year and don't know how to use the online catalog. Or who think google is the answer to everything. (also - I do love stamping books - I did it at my last library job, and I used to love to see the super old books and the beautiful handwriting of the pre-1950 librarians. interesting fact : up through the 60s or 70s handwriting was a required course in library school)

    ReplyDelete